Why pass up the chance to visit a city often referred to as the Venice of the US? Fort Lauderdale, with its glistening waterways meandering through the city and sandy beaches, is a haven for both travelers and locals.
Whether you’re content lounging on the beach or seeking a more active holiday, Fort Lauderdale caters to all preferences. This sun-soaked city boasts delectable seafood, a plethora of outdoor activities, vibrant marine life, and a cultural scene featuring art galleries, cafes, and restaurants. The nightlife is equally enticing, promising evenings filled with new friends and exciting places to explore.
Fort Lauderdale’s accommodation choices perfectly complement its beauty. By following our straightforward Fort Lauderdale neighborhood guide, you might just find yourself in the hotel or hostel of your dreams!
Recommended Areas to Stay in Fort Lauderdale
If you’re ready to uncover the coolest places to stay in Fort Lauderdale, here’s where your search should focus.
1. Las Olas – Ultimate Nightlife Experience
Las Olas, often hailed as “The Venice of America,” stands as one of Fort Lauderdale’s most beautiful and culturally rich neighborhoods. Nestled between Hollywood Beach Fort Lauderdale and the ocean, Las Olas offers convenient access to both beach and city attractions. With historic sites, cultural attractions, and picturesque waterways, this area blends history with modern charm, making it perfect for those seeking a vibrant nightlife experience.
Some things to do in Las Olas
- Stroll through the streets to absorb history and culture.
- Indulge in diverse international cuisine options.
- Experience the nightlife through bars, clubs, and music venues.
- Visit the NSU Art Museum and Stranahan House for a dose of culture and history.
2. Fort Lauderdale Beach – Perfect for First-Time Visitors
For families seeking proximity to the beach, Fort Lauderdale Beach is the ideal neighborhood. With sun, sea, and sand just moments away, you’ll also have access to surrounding shops, restaurants, and bars. This area, favored by tourists, offers a diverse range of accommodation options to suit every budget, ensuring a delightful stay by the beach.
Some things to do in Fort Lauderdale Beach
- Relax on the beach or indulge in water sports and beach activities.
- Explore the unique International Swimming Hall of Fame Museum.
- Enjoy souvenir shopping and people-watching from nearby restaurants or cafes.
- Skate along the picturesque beachfront sidewalks.
- Experience the ocean on a rented private yacht for a day.
3. Hollywood Beach – Budget-Friendly Beach Retreat
For beach proximity on a budget, consider Hollywood Beach. This neighborhood provides easy access to the beach, a vibrant atmosphere with bars and restaurants, and reasonably priced mid-range hotels. The long, golden promenade exudes the charm of Tinseltown’s Golden Years, making it an attractive option for travelers seeking affordability without sacrificing beachside enjoyment.
Some things to do in Hollywood Beach
- Jog, cycle, or stroll along the scenic promenade.
- Explore local restaurants for delicious meals.
- Experience the trendy bar scene during the night.
- Discover the area via water taxi or the Downtown Hollywood Trolley.
- Visit the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens for a cultural excursion.
4. Lauderdale-by-the-Sea – Ideal for Family Retreats
Situated just north of the main beach, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea offers a less touristy destination with a distinct small-town charm. Perfect for families, this area provides a tranquil atmosphere for a good night’s sleep while offering beautiful beaches and various activities during the day. With excellent snorkeling, world-class diving, local parks, and museums, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea caters to diverse interests.
Some things to do in Lauderdale by the Sea
- Snorkel to discover tropical fish and turtles.
- People-watch at local cafes with a beach view.
- Dive to explore natural and artificial reefs.
- Wander through the walkable neighborhood, stopping at intriguing places.
5. Wilton Manors – Unique Local Flair
Wilton Manors, located a few miles north of the main beach, offers a unique local experience. Close enough to the beach for convenience yet distant enough for peace and quiet, this neighborhood provides a blend of attractions beyond the beach. For travelers seeking a more local vibe, Wilton Manors features attractions, dining, and shopping options favored by the locals.
Some things to do in Wilton Manors
- Enjoy a day at the beach and retreat to a quiet sanctuary at night.
- Explore local shops along Wilton Drive for unique souvenirs.
- Boardwalk through mangroves at Colohatchee Park.
- Discover local eateries recommended by the residents.
- Immerse yourself in nature at the Fern Forest Nature Center.
Final Thoughts on accommodation in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale beckons travelers with its sun-soaked beaches and laid-back ambiance. Whether you seek relaxation or active beach pursuits, this destination caters to all preferences. With a plethora of accommodation options suiting every budget and travel style, deciding where to stay in Fort Lauderdale becomes a delightful task. Book your trip and soak in the charm of this Florida gem!